< JoshBlog: Pandering with Civil Rights

Monday, June 05, 2006

Pandering with Civil Rights

Seeing what the American Senate has begun debating today, I feel the need to express what I feel in one of the few ways that I can---blogging. Of course, what I am speaking of is the purposed constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

What is becoming more evident is the fact that President Bush and this administration have used this as a platform to bring back their lost uber right wing base. This seems to disturb me seeing how the leader of this free nation, a democracy: being of equal rights for all, is using the basis of this nation, the Constitution, for reasons none other than to better himself politically. This is but a shameless attempt to bring back supporters from the "family values" groups.

Another thing is that the Constitution was founded as a document granting rights. What is this "amendment" giving to our country? It is almost a perversion of the American Ideal permitting for something to be added to the constitution denying rights to any American citizens, to productive American people, to citizens that function and live in this democracy. I am aware that if this amendment does pass, (which is most likely will not) there is still a lengthy process as to which must be taken in order to be added to the law; hereby making it slim to impossible that the law will pass. Yet, it is not the threat of an impending amendment that bothers me, it is the mere idea that in a country such as ours this sort of thing may happen. That rights of a group of American people can be denied and frivolously thrown around for political gain.

My last lamentation about this issue are the family value groups who persistently commit to the ideal that this amendment is protecting our youth and the morals of this country. I am gay, does this, in a sense, make me immoral? Is it inherit that because I am attracted the same-sex that our love is not deserving of such rights as straight couples do? Further more, I am tired of these groups throwing around the idea that this is protecting the sanctity of marriage. If this marriage is so "holy" then why do most marriages end in divorce, why is it that countless celebrities can have 55-hour marriages, why is it that, for something regarded as so "pure", it is possible to get married in plentiful trailer-trash, run-and-gun chapels in Las Vegas?

I end this saying that I do not hold resentment for President Bush, Christian moral groups, or even the people who hate me solely because I am who I am; I just want to live the American Dream and be open to the same opportunities as the people I see every day. I am not an immoral person, I am just an American, worried about securing my rights as a law abiding person of this country. Given, there are more things to worry about in this world more important than marriage

---Josh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blog Views